Media contact: Janet C. Hart, APR, CFEE (704) 927-8617 office
BBB Checklist for Hiring a Repair Contractor
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Storms are continuing to cause problems in the Southern Piedmont area.
If you have storm damage, the BBB warns you to watch out for “storm chasers”.
“One of the worst mistakes is to hire a storm chaser, a contractor who is working out of his pick-up truck, and going door-to-door soliciting business in storm-damaged areas,” said BBB President Tom Bartholomy.
“With last night’s storm including hail, roofing companies will be aggressively marketing roof inspections for hail damage,” Bartholomy added. “If you think you have hail damage, go to www.bbb.org, search for “roofing”, find a local company, and call them yourself.”
“There are hundreds of local contractors in the Southern Piedmont area who specialize in roof repairs, water damage, and tree removal that will deliver quality work, on time and within budget,” Bartholomy added.
BBB checklist: 10 tips for hiring a roofing company, repair contractor or tree removal service:
1. Track record – Check out a company’s BBB rating and complaint history at www.bbb.org. It’s fast, easy and free. You can also call the BBB at (704) 927-8611 or 1-877-317-7236, toll-free in N.C. and S.C. Customer service operators are available, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (excluding 12-1 p.m. for lunch).
2. Cost comparisons - Get at least three bids in writing and be sure you compare the bids based on the same warranty, specifications, labor and time.
3. Licensing - Check to see if the company you plan to hire has the proper licensing.
N.C. General Contractors Licensing Board, click on Licensee Search
S.C. Contractors Licensing Board, click on Licensee Lookup
4. Insurance - Verify the company’s liability insurance to protect you against damage. You can also check with the department of insurance in your state.
N.C. Dept. of Insurance - 1-800-546-5664 toll-free from N.C.
S.C. Dept. of Insurance - 803-737-6180 or 1-800-768-3467 toll free from S.C.
5. References – Ask for references from the company’s last three jobs and check them out before you sign a contract.
6. Written contract - Do not permit work to start without a signed, written contract that includes start and completion dates, exact costs, specific work to be done, and warranty information. Be sure to read the fine print carefully.
7. Deposit required and payment – Do not pay more than 25 to 33 percent of the total job cost as a deposit. Final payment should not be due until the job is completed. Do not pay in cash; pay by check or credit card.
8. Warranty – Get warranty information in writing on products and installation. Be sure to read the fine print carefully.
9. Bonding – Be sure all workers are bonded to protect you against theft or additional damage.
10. Criminal history – Check out anyone you allow into your home to see if they have a criminal history.
For more information, please visit BBB.
N.C. online offender search – online offender directory search
S.C. Dept. of Corrections - instructions to obtain information on offenders