Media contact: Janet C. Hart, APR, CFEE (704) 927-8617 office
BBB Lists Top Ten Most Searched Types of Businesses
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Nearly two million consumers search the local BBB’s online directory each year to find businesses for specific projects and to check out businesses before they sign contracts.
As the weather gets warmer, consumers turn their focus to home maintenance, remodeling and repair projects.
According to the BBB, eight of the top 10 types of businesses that consumers in the Southern Piedmont are researching the most are home-related:
2. Home improvements
3. Heating & air conditioning
5. Lawn maintenance
6. Siding contractors
7. Auto body repair
9. General contractors
10. Mortgage brokers
“Spring is the high season for home improvement projects,” said BBB President Tom Bartholomy.
“Unfortunately, it is also the high season for home improvement scams.”
The BBB advises homeowners to be wary of contractors who promise work at cut-rate prices.
“You need to do your homework before you hire any business,” said Bartholomy, “especially when you are hiring someone to work in your home, around your family.”
According to the BBB, consumers should hire a local contractor with a good track record of doing business locally.
There are hundreds of reputable contractors in our area who will deliver quality work, on time and within budget,” added Bartholomy.
BBB Checklist: 10 Tips for Hiring a Contractor:
- Track record – Check out a company’s BBB rating and complaint history. You can search by company name, telephone number, or website.
- Cost comparisons - Get at least three bids in writing.
- Licensing - Check to see if the company you plan to hire has the proper licensing.
- Insurance - Verify the company’s liability insurance to protect you against damage.
- References – Ask for references from the company’s last three jobs and check them out.
- Written contract – Do not sign a contract until you have read the terms and conditions, warranty and payment schedule carefully.
- Deposit and payment – Final payment should not be made until the work is completed. Do not pay in cash; pay by check or credit card.
- Warranty – Get warranty information in writing on products and installation.
- Bonding – Be sure all workers are bonded to protect you against theft or damage.
- Criminal history – Check out anyone you allow into your home to see if they have a criminal history.
For more information, please visit BBB.